Get to Know: Tiffani McCain

Categories: News

Meet Tiffani McCain, the director of staff position and performance management. She has a wealth of human resources and institutional knowledge both from business affairs and academic affairs perspectives. Learn more about her role, her avid running passion and her Girl Scout troop leadership.

How long have you been a member of Niner Nation?
I have been a member of Niner Nation since January 2017. I began as a human resources consultant in the Human Resources Department on the Classification and Compensation team. In 2021, I transitioned to Academic Affairs as the assistant director of personnel. In June 2023, I transitioned back to the Human Resources Department in my current role as the director for position and performance management.

What drew you to the human resources field and what motivates you to continue each day?
I was drawn to the human resources field by a mentor who owned a federal government contract business. She offered me an internship in her human resources department. After college, I took a full-time position with this company as a human resources manager. I worked with individuals from all over the world and learned a tremendous amount about human resources, contracts, legal affairs and government contracting.

I am motivated by impacting and supporting the initiatives of UNC Charlotte and its employees. UNC Charlotte has done and continues to do exciting things through the development of new programs, student and community engagement, and innovative research. Every day, there is something exciting and new occurring at the University. I am excited to play a role in supporting the goals and mission of the University.

How would you describe your role and responsibilities?
As the director of position management and performance management, I am responsible for a team who provides consultative services to design a variety of SHRA and EHRA non-faculty positions, while effectively administering all position management, compensation management, and performance management associated with EHRA and SHRA staff. I provide counsel to University leaders and managers on salary implementations, classification and compensation options, advise employees on issues related to job design and performance management, and facilitate position analysis to appropriately classify positions consistent with the established classification and compensation plan.

What does your typical workday look like?
My work days vary based on the needs of the University, the directives from the UNC System Office and the enactments of the State Legislature. As such, I am always ready to pivot and meet the needs of the requests submitted to our office. I spend a great amount of time analyzing data, reviewing requests for changes by departments and collaborating with HR team members and stakeholders. Every day is exciting and brings a new challenge to the team.

What is the most challenging part of your job? Most rewarding?
The most challenging part of my role is acquiring and analyzing data, balancing different interests, strategically maintaining our compensation philosophy and supporting my team through decision-making, advocacy and professional development.
The most rewarding part of my job is providing managers and leaders with an optimal solution to meet their expectations.

What is your most memorable experience at UNC Charlotte?
My most memorable experiences at UNC Charlotte are the many volunteer opportunities I have had the privilege of being a part of during National Volunteer Week. The most memorable volunteer opportunities have been packing bags for CMS students experiencing food insecurity.

What is your favorite place on campus? Why?
My favorite part of campus is Halton-Wagner Tennis Complex. My daughters love tennis and we find ourselves on the court during the warmer months of the year.

What is something you like to do in your spare time?
I love to run. In my spare time, I love running outdoors and participating in local runs, run clubs and virtual runs. Last year, I completed over 10 community-sponsored runs and plan for more in the upcoming year.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received?
The best piece of advice I received is “If you are going to complete a task, give 100% effort or don’t waste time on it.”