Get to Know: Trent Barnes

Categories: News

Meet Trent Barnes, facility planner for Business Services. Learn about his responsibility as Business Services’ facility planner and what he likes most about the job.

Portrait of Business Services’ facility planner, Trent Barnes.

How would you describe your role and responsibilities?
As the facility planner, the primary purpose of my role is to support and manage the various projects of business services, forecast projects for the immediate future as well as the 10 year plan. I also oversee the asset tracking of our equipment, monitor and collaborate on our maintenance needs and foster a safe and sanitary work environment for all of Business Services’ staff and students.

What does your typical workday look like?
I really don’t know yet. There have already been some staffing changes since I’ve been in the role, which have drastically changed day-to-day. There is some variety which is good. Some days I am in meetings for four to five hours. Other days I am out on site following up on our more pressing maintenance needs or on a project job site. At this point in my role, I am gathering and looking through a lot of data. So there are times when I am at my desk pulling data into usable formats for our management team to make informed decisions.

What do you like most about your job?
I really like the team that I am a part of and working with the many various groups across campus. I work with partners in FM, PDC, building managers and Chartwells. I get to work with talented, motivated people who want what is best for the university and its student body. I’ve already been a part of some creative and cool ideas, now we have the fun part of the logistics and processes to make those ideas come to life.

Who is on your team?
I do not have anyone on my team at the moment, but we will be posting a position soon. It will be a great opportunity to work with many wonderful people all over campus and support the student body.

What is something you like to do in your spare time?
I love the outdoors, so I am hiking, kayaking and traveling as much as I’m able.